Re: TR4 - Different Seats, Seat Belts, etc...

To: Dinh Bowman <bowdinh@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: TR4 - Different Seats, Seat Belts, etc...
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:33:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Dinh Bowman wrote:

> One of the first things I would like to do is to change the seats (with no
> headrests) to some more comfortable/safer seats w/ headrests. Has anyone
> done this? Are there any suggestions on which seats to get etc...?

My TR4 has TR6 seats in it.  There are at least 2 styles of TR6 seats
(both will fit, but you might need to use the '6 seat rails) - I have the
kind with moveable headrests, you can also get ones with fixed headrests.

> The seatbelts that came with this vehicle are also really bad. I would like
> to get an Inertial seatbelt system that has both lap and shoulder straps.
> Are there any suggestions on where I can purchase these and how I should
> install them? (Can I attach it to my rollbar?)

I went with 3pt static seat belts.  I attached the shoulder point to the
rear inner fender (there's a handy hole there for just this purpose).  The
DPO had the belts attached to the roll bar, but IMHO they were too high,
and they also obscured the rear-view mirror vision.  (They were
"backwards"- the shoulder point was in the center instead of at the edge.
I don't think the guy ever looked behind him anyway)

> Something that has caught my attention, is the placement and the manor of
> using the emergency brake on this car. Has this ever posed a "problem" with
> anyone (especially those who live near lots of hills...i.e. San Francisco )?
> Is it possible to "move" the handbrake (i.e. replace the TR4 handbrake with
> a TR6 handbrake)

You could retro(?)fit a TR4A handbrake into the car, it's up in the center
where you expect it to be.  Myself I like having the handbrake (notice:
not emergency brake- it's not usually an emergency when you use it :-))
over there, it gives the passenger something useful to do.  "Ok, when you
hear a chirpy noise, give this thing a slight tug..."  Heh, just kidding.

> The steering wheel seems to flex abit. What is everyone's suggestion on a
> different steering wheel?

I have a Formuling (made in France) leather-grip wheel.  It's got 3
aluminum spokes.

You should first check to make sure that it's not the steering column that
is wobbly.  Crawl into the footwell with a flashlight and wiggle the
steering wheel.  You will see if the firewall mount points are broken.
Mine were (too many years of people hauling themselves out of the car by
the wheel.  I use the roll bar / fenders).  It is common for these
brackets to break.  I welded mine up in a fit of amazing achievement - I
do not recommend anyone else try to weld under the dashboard with an
oxy-acetylene torch without removing *EVERYTHING* first - it's a miracle
that I still have dash pads and a wiring harness.

You can also fix the firewall (scuttle) mount points with thick angle iron
/ aluminum brackets; use your judgement.  If the bracket feels flimsy,
reinforce in situ with angle braces.  If it is very broken, take the whole
car apart and weld it.

> What does a person have to do to get their TR4 into racing condition??
> Also, on the same note. Where does a "racer" go through for insurance?

1.  Open wallet
2.  Remove money
3.  Give freely to others
4.  Drive quickly

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm