Re: dashpot oil with a twist?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dashpot oil with a twist?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:02:52 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Thanks for the info I've received.  I don't know exactly what's in the
dashpots now (from the previous owner), but it's motor oil.  In my low
state of expertise, I'm not comfortable taking the carburetor apart to get
the oil out.  I'm going to try to suck most of it out with some plastic
tubing attached to a small turkey baster (!), then add straight 30-W.  I
hope this will be satisfactory.  There will be a little of the previous
unknown motor oil in there, but I can't see the harm.

I now understand how the various thicknesses of oil function in the
dashpot.  I'm not sure why some people are recommending transmission fluid
or Marvel Mystery Oil.  These are very thin lubricants and apparently would
result in a lean mixture on acceleration.  Presumably, one would want a
little more zip!

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com