Re: dashpot oil with a twist?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dashpot oil with a twist?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:01:48 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: <fergie@ntplx.net>
Michael Ferguson reports:

>Phil, the three machine screw that hold the dashpot covers on the carbs
>are all you have to remove. Then, just lift the covers off, remove the
brass
>hex-heads and pour the old fluid out. Simple, and no need to suck it out.

Simpler than I thought, I guess.  But the job's done.  The cheapo auto
parts store had a "fluid lubricant pump" (Valvoline part #818)---just a
little plastic hand pump for $3.99 with a clear plastic tube of the exact
diameter needed.  And it did suck the oil right out.  I replaced it with
30-W Castrol, and am happy to report the car is running better than ever.
Noticably smoother and with better acceleration.

Bad news is, I found that the front dashpot was entirely empty, so I've
apparently been running around with one full, and one empty dashpot for
about the last 500 miles.  May I hope I haven't burned any valves?  It does
take more than this, doesn't it, to burn valves?  The jets themselves were
set correctly at the tune up last May.

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com