Re: Junk TR6 carburetor psychology

To: Philip Haldeman <haldeman@accessone.com>
Subject: Re: Junk TR6 carburetor psychology
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 00:44:03 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil,

> The guy says that some things go wrong that can't be fixed, such as the jets,
>but that they throw those away.

This guy is wrong.  You can easily replace jets.  I've done it and Apple
Hydraulics will sell you the jets and the tool (valve guide from a
Honda) to use.

My advice is to get the Haynes book on ZS carbs and read it front to
back and sideways.  Highlight things, ask questions of the list, hold
the book over your carbs as you read it, put it down for a few weeks,
pick it up again and read it some more.  Do the same with the Bentleys
carb section.  Then when you NEED to you'll have a base of knowledge to
work on your the carbs that are on your car.  It's really not that
complicated working on them once you know what the theory is and a few
of the tricks from the listers (e.g. installing jets).  Unless you need
practice putting screws in and out of something I think your time would
be better spend reading about carbs than practicing on one.  There's
nothing magical to "practice" on a carb IMHO as far as rebuilding them.
The practice part is needed more when you tune the buggers when the car
is running, and even then all your reading will help make that
"practice" more systematic.  If you want to practice something I would
suggest practice reading plugs so you can tell by looking at them if the
carbs are running lean or rich or just right.  Ask the junkyard guy for
some old plugs and have him show you which is rich, lean, correct.  But
that's just my experience.  I'm sure others on the list will weigh in
with other constructive advice or maybe a junked carb.

Bud