Re: Gaskets

To: bstinocher@unipres.com
Subject: Re: Gaskets
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:55:33 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 14-Mar-00 10:52:29 Eastern Standard Time,
bstinocher@unipres.com writes:

> Can I just use some heavy duty paper? Or is gasket paper something special?
> If
>  it is, can the paper be bought somewhere so that I can cut it out myself
(I
> hate
>  to place an order for a $0.75 part and pay $5 shipping!).
>
>  Thanks.

Bryan, Any good autoparts store has gasket paper.  Buy the paper, put it on
the table, lay the pump housiing on it and trace the outline.  Cut it out,
turn the pump housing right side up, lay the new gasket on it and tap gently
with small hammer (ballpeen rather than claw) around the holes for the
bolts/studs.  Remove the gasket and cut out those holes.  Then you're done.

Suggest you also apply a sealant (only a LITTLE bead on both sides of the
gasket) before you install and tighten it up.  Cheers.

Art Kelly