RE: Gaskets

To: Bryan Stinocher <sixpacktr@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Gaskets
From: "Riggs, R Kevin" <rkriggs@ugsolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:14:44 -0800
Cc: TRlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bryan,

I can't answer your general question with any authority, but I can tell you
that I have successfully used the blue silicone sealant sold in the gasket
section of your local auto parts store without any gasket in the application
you're talking about.  There are many manufacturers of this stuff, and they
each discuss the appropriate applications on their packaging.  Generally
speaking, in non-critical areas such as a water-pump housing, these sealants
work quite well as an alternative to, or in conjuntion with a gasket.  They
provide a better seal than the gasket would by itself.

I generally go ahead and use the paper gaskets manufactured for our cars,
but I also coat them with a lacquer-based gasket sealer -- India Head is one
widely known brand, though I've seen others.  I don't think brand is
important for this stuff.  The silicone sealants probably provide a higher
quality seal, but I find the residue they leave around the seams
unattractive.  Also, I would never use a silicone sealant near an oil
passageway, as the residue can peal away in the oil passage and clog things
up.

I'll take a stab at your general question as well.  In areas where extreme
temperature are not present, I believe any thick, absorbant paper would do
for a gasket.  Your auto parts store probably sells gasket paper by the
roll, if you want to pay a few cents extra for the paper with which to make
your own gaskets.

I hear you say, "Ah, but isn't a water pump housing a location for extreme
temperature and pressure?!"  No, not unless there's another problem
somewhere else.  If your coolant is under sufficient temperature and
pressure to burst through a home-made paper gasket, then something else is
wrong, and the burst of steam will serve to notify you (if you weren't
already aware) that now is a good time to pull off the road and shut 'er
down.

FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc...

Kevin Riggs
'72 TR6