Gaskets

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gaskets
From: bstinocher@unipres.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:28:18 -0600

List,

Just a quick dumb question. Last night I wanted to put my water pump back on the
engine, and noticed that I didn't have the gasket for this (I have 3 of the pump
to housing gaskets, but not one housing to engine block gasket!). Anyway, I was
tempted to use some heavy paper, like construction paper, to make a gasket, but
thought I'd ask you learned ones if that would work or not. I got to thinking
that maybe gasket paper is some type of special paper, and didn't want to put
the parts back on with something that won't work.

Can I just use some heavy duty paper? Or is gasket paper something special? If
it is, can the paper be bought somewhere so that I can cut it out myself (I hate
to place an order for a $0.75 part and pay $5 shipping!).

Thanks.