Gaskets

To: "INTERNET:bstinocher@unipres.com" <bstinocher@unipres.com>
Subject: Gaskets
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:15:44 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by INTERNET:bstinocher@unipres.com
>List,

Just a quick dumb question. Last night I wanted to put my water pump back
on the
engine, and noticed that I didn't have the gasket for this (I have 3 of the
pump
to housing gaskets, but not one housing to engine block gasket!). Anyway, I
was
tempted to use some heavy paper, like construction paper, to make a gasket,
but
thought I'd ask you learned ones if that would work or not. I got to
thinking
that maybe gasket paper is some type of special paper, and didn't want to
put
the parts back on with something that won't work.

Can I just use some heavy duty paper? Or is gasket paper something special?
If
it is, can the paper be bought somewhere so that I can cut it out myself (I
hate
to place an order for a $0.75 part and pay $5 shipping!).

Thanks.
<

Brian,

You can just use some silicone gasket "maker" with on gasket.  Smear some
on (don't use too much it will ooze out into the cooling sysem and losge
into some passage somewhere) and use a trick i learned from a friend who
was an experimental aircraft guy:  Lay a piece of sewing thread down on the
mating surface.  This will creat a space and you won't get direct metal to
metal contact which would press all of the silicone out and possibly create
a leak.

Personally, I prefer to use a gasket but in a pinch the above should work
fine.

Dave