Re: Blasting media?

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Subject: Re: Blasting media?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:53:28 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Cliff Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Motivated by visions of turning dirty parts into shiny clean parts, I got up
> extra early today to hook up the blasting cabinet to the new compressor.
> I had filled the cabinet with sand.  After two hours, I now have a pile of
> dirty and dusty parts.  I'm disappointed not just with the lack of cleaning
> power but also with the quantity of dust.

  Does your cabinet have a vacuum cleaner attachment?

  My hobby cabinet does, and it helps a lot in visibility which
lets you do a better job.

  It also lets you see if the gun is clogged, which is likely
what is happening if the cleaning power is low.

  I find I have MORE than enough cleaning power, but the gun clogs often
and if I an dozing off I waste time waving it over areas that are
receiving no sand.

  A water trap helps a lot as well.

> What media do you recommend?

  For steel parts that are dirty and rusty, blasting sand
works well for me.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca