Re: Wheel Bearings 101

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings 101
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:11:34 -0800 (PST)
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Michael Ferguson wrote:

> I'm sure some of you will get a chuckle out of this one...FT, Brad and Henry
> come to mind :^), but while I do know how to pack grease in a wheel bearing,
> I'm not sure how much grease to put in the hub itself (front end of a TR3).
> Do I fill 'er up or just grease the bearings and slap some on the stub axle?

Do the latter.  You want the grease to come out and end up in the dust
cap.  (really!)  Don't pack it full of grease or it might ooze out and get
all over your brakes (bad idea).  I packed the bearings nicely, but didn't
put any more on the stub after fitting the castle nut and cotter pin.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm