Re: Wheel Bearings 101

To: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu, john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings 101
From: radams@ArkansasUSA.com (RANDALL ADAMS)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:04:21 -0600
Cc: "'Malcolm Walker'" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
When putting in a new set of bearings, what is the proper way to prepare the
felt grease seal?  Some have said to soak it over night and others say to
simmer it in hot oil for a few hours.   Any clues or advise for others on
the list?  I'm not doing this at the present but I do know that if it's
overlooked you'll be putting in some new bearings again....The felt seal, if
not properly prepared will compact.
--
Randall Adams
British Iron of NW Arkansas

----------
<fergie@ntplx.net>, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: Wheel Bearings 101
>Date: Thu, Mar 30, 2000, 8:53 AM
>

> John is correct.  The Triumph shop manual clearly states that the well
> within the hub should be filled with grease.  If you do not, the bearings
> will throw out all the grease, and you will be running on empty!
>
> Cheers.
>
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, john donnelly wrote:
>

>> Someone one the "list" had a great explaination of how to pack wheel
> hubs. When you're packing them remember how they work ... that the grease
> under pressure turns to oil, and that's what keeps the bearings lub'ed. So
> if you overpack them you get lot's of oil around you brakes (not a good
> thing!). Don't push as much as you can in there, but make sure you have all
> the recesses filled, and then maybe just a little bit more.
>> John in San Diego
>> '67 TR4A
>> '71 P1800E

Henry