Re: Wheel Bearings 101

To: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings 101
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:47:35 EST
Hi Mike,
I usually pack the bearing real well, assemble it in a bed of grease, then
put a layer just over the bearing in the housing.
I'm not sure just how much grease external to the bearing is actually used
when running. Although the bearing will heat up and centrifugally throw some
of the liquified grease to the outside of the housing, some grease in close
proximity will be drawn in by the rotating tapered rollers.....a la the
whirlpool effect.
To fill the entire bearing housing seems a waste to good grease to me.

Bob Stahlbush
66 MGB RD GHN3L 78708
60 TR3A TS 81398L