Re: Wheel Bearings 101

To: jmikebarron@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings 101
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:12:33 -0500
Cc: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@autox.team.net(jmikebarron@hotmail.com)
It is true.

The higher the speed and load, the more careful you have to be about
lubrication.  (Duh!)  Grease is convenient for lower speed
applications because it won't drain away from the regions needing
lubrication.  On the other hand, the churning of the grease in the
moving parts creates heat, and if the heated lube has nowhere to
escape, it sits there and gets scorched.  Bad bongos.

The trick to effective lubrication is to always use just enough, but
enough to never (ever) run dry.  Too much is always bad, too little is
deadly.

Donald.