Re: Fluid level switch in master cylinder - sensor possibilities

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fluid level switch in master cylinder - sensor possibilities
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:35:46 -0400
Jeff McNeal wrote:

> Thanks for your follow-up.  I've decided that I must and shall have a low
> brake level warning system on my '67 Spitfire.  My understanding is that
> many Japanese and perhaps German cars have these float/switch sensors
> attached to the cap to the reservoir.  Ideally, I'd like to find either a
> cap that will fit my existing Girling reservoir with a switch that is the
> right size (the impossible dream?) or at least find a switch of the right
> depth that can be removed from the OEM cap and reinstalled in my Girling
> cap.
>
> If anyone beats me to figuring out which year/model automobile would be
> suitable for donor services, by all means, please post it to the list!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeff in San Diego
>
> '67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
> Jeff's Classic '67 Spitfire Mk3 site
> http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
> home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
> "By Triumph enthusiasts, for Triumph enthusiasts"
> http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRauction.cgi

Jeff,

E-types use exactly the level sensor you want - AND the cap is the same size and
thread to fit a Girling master.  Unfortunately, the actual senor is enclosed in
cylindrical alum. housing that makes it too tall to fit down on top of the TR
master
(Jag uses a plastic reservoir that is deeper to accomodate the float/sensor).
Contact
me off list as I've probably got a few bad ones laying around - I'll send one
to you
and you can try to remove the alum. cylinder to see if it can be made shorter
to fit
the TR/Girling master - if you can make it fit, then just get a new one and
repeat the
modifications!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars