RE: unleaded gas

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Scott Weldin'" <sweldin@ups.edu>
Subject: RE: unleaded gas
From: Tom Walling & Wendy Rose <maineac@netquarters.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 19:14:15 -0400
I'm not sure that you need to anything but drive it.  I use the "middle grade"
in mine with no knocking or pinging, and the engine has the old high
compression pistons and a milled head for higher compression ratios yet.

As far as needing new valves and guides, I would suggest a "wait and see"
approach.  I have not heard of any real valve recession caused by unleaded
fuel.  You might want to put a compression gauge on each cylinder and record
the pressures, and then do this again after a period of time (a year?  10,000
miles?) and compare values.

I think that the advantages of unleaded gas far outweigh whatever problems may
be caused by it.  IMHO, a lot of the initial flap about engine damage/wear was
not based on experience, but on guessing and trying to predict what might
happen.