Re: unleaded gas

Subject: Re: unleaded gas
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:21:21 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu wrote:

> "Valve recession" has nothing to do with leaded vs. unleaded gas.

I beg to differ.  Valve seat recession is THE major issue with running
unleaded fuel in an engine designed for leaded.

Furthermore, while I don't believe lead substitute is appropriate in
most cases, I have seen a case of severe valve seat recession on an
engine that had the soft seats ground, then run only on unleaded gas.
In less than 15000 miles, the exhaust seats sunk so far into the head
that the hydraulic lifters could not compensate (obviously, I'm not
talking about a LBC).

Randall
59 TR3A