Re: South African Triumph adventures

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: South African Triumph adventures
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 10:09:24 -0700
Chris :

There are some wiring differences between your car and my TR3A, but
the fuses should be the same (as were even the first TR2s, according to
the factory service manual).

Of the two fuses, the one with a third terminal next to it should feed
the brake lights, turn signals, fuel gauge, and wiper motor.  There
should be a single green wire under the end terminal that runs over to
the turn signal flasher, and a flat metal jumper between it and the
"3rd" side terminal.  The side terminal has two green wires, one of
which runs to the brake light switch, the other to the fuel gauge on the
dash and to the wiper motor switch.  The other end terminal has two
white wires, one of which runs to the ignition coil (making it unfused),
the other runs to the ignition switch.

The other fuse is for the horns.  One end has two brown wires, one of
which runs to the starter solenoid, the other to the ammeter.  The other
end has two brown/green wires, one for each horn.

My Driver's Manual indicates the horn fuse should be 50 amps (Lucas
rating system), the other fuse should be 35 amps (Lucas system).

The head and tail lights are unfused on the earlier cars (although
usually the switch will fail first, protecting the wires <g>).  Later
cars (TS38177 according to Piggott) had in-line fuses for the tail and
brake lights, but still no fuse for the headlights or panel lights.

My point was simply that, if your DPO has wired the horns in with other
things, the combined current of the horns and other things may be enough
to blow the fuse, especially if it is a 35 amp instead of a 50 amp.
Obviously, this would only apply if the fuse blows only when you sound
the horns, but you didn't specify when the fuse blew <g>

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO