Tranny Reassembly

To: "hansenc@flash.net" <hansenc@flash.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Tranny Reassembly
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 21:44:49 -0400
> The mainshaft is back in, all bearings and seals have been replaced
>except the needle bearing in the end of the input shaft.  Is this part a
>frequent failure? I could still do it, but it looks pretty good.
>
>Any advice on gasket sealer?  The tranny gaskets are all very thin paper.
>
>Thanks again.
<

Hello again!

I would recommend that you replace all the needle bearings including the one on
the input shaft.
Since you have it open, and it isn't too hard or expensive, go for it.

As for the gaskets.  I have been told to use the permatex spray on "sealant".
It is red.
It works well and does not ooze a large wad of junk out as you tighten it down.

You should also seal the threads of all the bolts with a dab of the black
permatex stuff,
I forget the name.  It will help lock the bolts (in addition to the little
nylon nub) and will
improve oil leaks.  You can't EVER stop them all.

-Tony