Re: 1/4 x 28 square nuts

To: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1/4 x 28 square nuts
From: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 11:05:32 -0700
George,

I don't know what the problem was, but the new screws that I had were black,
truss head 1/4-28 and they would not screw into the cage nuts that I had. Of
course the cages were OK, although they didn't quite have as much adjustment
as the original. But, by the time I discovered that the black screws didn't
fit the cage nuts, I was in the process of sending the car to be resprayed,
so didn't have time to mess around. The final solution for me, as I said
earlier, was to just use standard 1/4-28 nuts with a large flat. I really
hated to do it that way but the only other method was to use some zinc
plated truss head screws that I found, that did fit the cage nuts, but of
course wouldn't fit the last "special cage nut bracket" that levers the rear
fenders closed above the taillight housings on the rear edge of the fenders.
I definitely did not want two different looking screws in that trunk edge,
so opted for no cage nuts where I had to remove them.

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
Palo Alto, CA