RE: Towing options

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Towing options
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:14:30 -0700

On Wednesday, July 19, 2000 11:17 AM, ArthurK101@aol.com
[SMTP:ArthurK101@aol.com] wrote:

> The gears are moving but the upper train is not being lubricated.
> This can damage the tranny.  The class instructor said that a short trip
> would be OK but if that you planned on going a hundred miles or more it
would
> be better to disconnect the drive shaft.

IMO, Art is exactly right, although I would think that up to 2-300 miles
would probably be OK.

Another alternative to diconnecting the driveshaft is to overfill the
tranny with oil during the trip, then drain to normal level before driving
the car.  This is easy on the earlier cars with the dipstick, on later cars
I believe you can screw in a valve in place of the fill plug, then force
oil through the valve (Sta-Lube sells a nice series of inexpensive gear oil
pumps which work fine with motor oil) and close the valve.

Randall