Re: TR-6 Supercharger! (also TVRs with 6 motor)

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Subject: Re: TR-6 Supercharger! (also TVRs with 6 motor)
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:09:53 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Brian Borgstede" <borgstede@umsl.edu> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Kai M. Radicke"
>> I looked at the pictures and it hit me,
> how does the brake booster get vacuum?
>
> Brian

Someone else had mentioned this to me off the list, but I gave it some
thought and here is what I'll say...

Since the supercharger is only being used when called for, situations in
which engine speed needs to be increased (acceleration), the rest of the
time the motor is sucking (creating vacuum) the fuel mixture.  Therefore,
unless you intend to use the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time,
the setup *should* not pose a problem... I suppose this is one of the
reasons Peter decided to design the setup using the by-pass valve.
<

If you have a "pull through" system (where the carb is at the input side of
the supercharger) you will have vacuum in between the carb and the
supercharger except at wide open throttle.  Just like on a regular car.

Note that some modern cars (Oldsmobile comes to mind) has a vacuum pump to
cover all contingencies.  So do some diesels (which have no vacuum at any
time).
DAve