Re: Mobil and TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mobil and TR6
From: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 18:06:43 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Opinion on Mobil 1 in a TR6.

Don't do it. Apart from the price (the packaging should wear a bandit mask)
Mobil 1 was developed for modern engines using closer tolerances.

The six pot Triumph engine was originally designed and introduced as a
1600/2000cc unit in the very early sixties (certainly designed in the late
fifties) when we were hardly used to using multigrade oils ie 20/50.

For what its worth I would not even use semi-synthetic oil in this engine
either.

I would stick to standard 20/50 and if you want a little extra protection
perhaps a tin of STP or Wynns but that is another story not everyone likes
additives.

Adrian Dix-Dyer
TR4A CT64306
(Using Morris' Oils Servol 20/50 no additives £3.00 ($4.5) for 5 litres)