RE: Mobil and TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Mobil and TR6
From: ingate@horizon.com
Date: 28 Aug 2000 17:39:31 -0000
Trevor Jordan wrote:
        > I am considering using Mobil 1 (5W50) at the next oil change.
        > [snip]

I believe there is significant value in using synthetic oils,
even in our older motors.  The technology that has gone into this
is considerable.  All motors will benefit.  HOWEVER, there is
one small problem; one property of the synthetics is their ability
to clean out deposits left by the old dino oils.  A motor that has
been raised on dino oil will have oils seals that have swollen.
When synthetics are used in an older engine, the old deposits will
be removed and the seal will shrink, resulting in large oil leaks
(well, at least oil leaks that are greater than "usual")  :-)

Shane Ingate
Melbourne, FL