Re: Mobil and TR6

To: Adrian Dix-Dyer <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Mobil and TR6
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 16:00:49 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Adrian Dix-Dyer wrote:

> Opinion on Mobil 1 in a TR6.
>
> Don't do it. Apart from the price (the packaging should wear a bandit mask)
> Mobil 1 was developed for modern engines using closer tolerances.
>
> The six pot Triumph engine was originally designed and introduced as a
> 1600/2000cc unit in the very early sixties (certainly designed in the late
> fifties) when we were hardly used to using multigrade oils ie 20/50.
>
> For what its worth I would not even use semi-synthetic oil in this engine
> either.
>
> I would stick to standard 20/50 and if you want a little extra protection
> perhaps a tin of STP or Wynns but that is another story not everyone likes
> additives.
>
> Adrian Dix-Dyer
> TR4A CT64306
> (Using Morris' Oils Servol 20/50 no additives £3.00 ($4.5) for 5 litres)

I just overhauled my TR6 engine last winter. I use 20W-50 semi-synthetic in it
and it works just fine, giving the advantages of easy starting, good oil
pressure when hot, and outstanding wear protection as evidenced by my race
engine teardowns.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and being rebuilt