RE: TS41136: Off to a bad start

To: pRob <prob@prob.com>
Subject: RE: TS41136: Off to a bad start
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:48:27 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, pRob wrote:

> > As I'm sure others have explained by now, that is normal behavior for
> > a trailer with surge brakes.
>
> I've rented a similar trailer from U-Haul before: it backed up fine.  I
> read the material they provided on the use: it didn't mention that it
> doesn't back up.

The last time I rented a trailer from U-Haul was 20 years ago.  It had
brakes that were controlled by a master cylender built into the sliding
yoke of the hitch.  I assume this is what is meant by a "surge brake"
although I hever heard (nor really cared) them called this at the time.

Point is, in order to back up the trailer you had to install a metal piece
that kept the yoke from compressing and pressing on the master cylender.
So, this leaves two possibilities assuming that U-Haul trailers haven't
changed in all these years 9and i would suspect they have not!!)
1) The trailer you couldn't back up was functioning properly and either
   you couldn't see the insert for backing or it was missing, thus making
   it impossible to back up the trailer.
2) The trailer that backed up OK had the plate in place all the time you
   used it and thus actually had no brakes making it very lucky that you
   were never put into a position where those brakes were necessary.

bill

--
bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |