TR3 Fuel Leak

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Fuel Leak
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:00:06 -0400
SWMBO is not happy.  Since I last drove the TR yesterday, the garage reeks
of gasoline.  Checking this morning, I found that it's coming from the fuel
pump.  I tightened down the cover screws and the two mounting nuts (the rear
nut sure is hard to get a wrench on) but the leak persists.  With the engine
running, I can watch fuel dripping onto the floor slowly, although I can't
see where it's coming from.  Do you think it's a crack in the wall of the
pump body?  Cracked gasket?  Any other thoughts or comments from the BTDT
guys?

I've been thinking about installing an electric fuel pump for some time, for
improved reliability.  This is a driver, not a concours car, and I've put in
other things such as an electronic ignition (Crane) and an electric
radiator-cooling fan for the same reason.  I think fate is telling me that
it's time for a change.  Reliability is the most important thing to me.

Do places like Auto Zone stock things like electric fuel pumps and
regulators?  There are some in my JC Whitney catalog.  Has anyone used any
from them?  Can you recommend a particular part number?  There are a couple
with pressures so low that I may not need a regulator.  (1 1/2 to 3 1/2
psi).  Should I use one anyway?

If I do replace it with an electric pump, I will lose the sediment chamber
that is attached to the old fuel pump.  It does a good job of removing junk
from my old gas tank, and I hate to give that up.  I have a fuel filter in
the line, and I suppose I'll just have to change it more often.  Any
comments?

I found another problem while checking the fuel pump today.  The oil line
for the oil pressure gage is supported by the fuel pump mounting nut.
Although my gage shows plenty of pressure, I noticed that the flexible oil
hose just above the fuel pump is only loosely attached to the metal oil
line, and can be lifted right off.  Surprisingly, I don't seem to be losing
oil.

Thanks for any comments!

Sumner Weisman
62 TR3B TSF263L