Re: Dashpot Oil Choice

Subject: Re: Dashpot Oil Choice
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:36:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Guess it's that time of year again ... might as well get it over with.
I use :
diff    : 80w90 synthetic gear oil
OD/trans : 20w50 racing oil (non-synthetic)
engine  : 20w50 synthetic motor oil
steering gearbox : 80w90 synthetic gear oil
dashpots        : 40 weight motor oil
brakes/clutch   : DOT-5 Silicone brake fluif
grease zerks (all 29 of 'em, including trunnions ... yes, I've added a
few)
        : moly-graphite-lithium grease

The contact pressures in the differential are very high, it needs an oil
with a high film strength.  Synthetic motor oil, or synthetic ATF might
do, but I wouldn't use dinosaur juice without the EP additives found in
gear oil.  Unless of course you are going racing, and don't mind
replacing the gears in a few thousand miles.  Even then, lightweight
synthetic gear oil sounds like the way to go.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO