Re: Switched power for fan

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: Re: Switched power for fan
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:48:26 -0500
Cc: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>, "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Scott A. Roberts"
>But remember- a non-electric fan is always moving at some speed, pulling
air
>through, while an electric fan switches on and off with the sensor.

There is air moving through the radiator (and across the surface of the
engine) anytime the car is moving, fan or no fan.

>Either
>way, the fan cools only that which is in the radiator- the engine is
cooled
>by the passing of the coolant mixture through the engine, so it is
sensible
>to allow the fan to run after shutdown, as there is more heat in the
>radiator than in the engine,

Excuse me?  The engine is the source of heat.  How can there be more heat
in the heat disipator than in the heat source?

>as the thermostat is what regulates the flow
>into the radiator, where the mix is cooled, cooled mix having flowed into
>the engine upon the thermostat's opening.

The discussion is about running the fan after the engine is stopped.  The
only scenario where this would be advantageous is if you plan on restarting
in two minutes or so.  If left for an hour the radiator and engine will
loose most of the heat regardless.  Running the fan for two minutes and
then restarting will give you a one time slug of cooled coolant after which
you are right back where you were before you shut down.

As I said, the only advantage to not tying the fans into the keyswitch is
simplicity.

Dave Massey