Re: Switched power for fan

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Switched power for fan
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 07:34:35 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net
>Engine cooling fans are typically fed by "always on" current, not from a
>source that would require the ignition to be in the "on" position.  The
>reason for this is so the fans can run a while after the engine is
>switched off (to speed cooling of the radiator once air flow from
>vehicle movement is no longer present).
While I *used* to have my fan switch this way, I no longer have it wired up
like that now for other reasons.  While I can see the logic, in that it
WILL cool the radiator (and not much else when the engine stops running) I
don't really see the *NECESSITY* for it.  Granted there is a slight
advantage in that it will help keep the water from boiling in the radiator
but that's about it.  After all in a typical engine driven fan arraignment,
when the car is parked and the engine is turned off the fan, coolant flow,
and airflow stops when the engine does - Hasn't harmed any vehicles in the
past, and especially older vehicles that typically run at cooler temps than
their contemporary counterparts (which may be why it's advantages in newer
vehicles running up to 30 degrees hotter than our "old" vehicles) -
That said there is really nothing wrong with either arraignment, and no
advantage for cooling (other than that mentioned above) for wiring it to a
constant supply.  Actually, you would have a slight advantage with it wired
"key switched" in the (admittedly EXTREMELY rare) event that the cooling
switch stuck closed (hey it could happen), you wouldn't drain the battery
from a constantly running fan :-)