Re: TR3 wire wheel questions

To: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Subject: Re: TR3 wire wheel questions
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:54:10 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Chris,
        I recently had the same setup on my 57 TR3 (Casper), it
became obvious that if I had a flat it would be a considerable hassle
to put on the disk wheel.

>My '56 TR 3 ( TS10795 ) is currently fitted with 4 x 60 spoke 15 inch wire
>wheels . I use the normal steel disc wheel as a spare ( I don't have a spare
>wire wheel ) .
>
>Over the past long weekend I met an elderly gentleman that offered to sell
>me 5 x 48 spoke 15 inch wire wheels for the price of R 1600,00 ( approx. 200

I found a 48 spoke wheel, plus tyre and tube (used of course) for $50
plus the trade in of the disk wheel which had and original Dunlop
Gold Seal tire on it.

>Couple of questions :
>Any problems with using 48 spoke wire wheels on a TR 3 ? AFAIK 48 spoke
>wheels were originally fitted to TR 2's and 3's .

My Original 57 TR3...in 1957 had the 48 spoke wheels and I raced it
with no problems...HOWEVER...looking at the difference today between
60 and 48 spokes I am probably lucky to be alive.  IMHO the 48 spoke
is good only for an emergency spare.  BTW Only the 48 spoke will fit
in the spare tire compartment and then if inflated only to 32 psi.

>Is this a reasonable price to pay ?
>Will a 48 spoke wheel fit in the spare wheel compartment without any hassles
>? AFAIK the 60 spoke wheels won't fit .
>Any advice against sandblasting and painting or powder coating wire wheels ?
>TIA

I will defer to Fred Thomas on the sandblasting and powder coating...
Good Luck
--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3