TR3 wire wheel questions

To: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Subject: TR3 wire wheel questions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:40:17 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Chris De Wet
>My '56 TR 3 ( TS10795 ) is currently fitted with 4 x 60 spoke 15 inch wire
wheels . I use the normal steel disc wheel as a spare ( I don't have a
spare
wire wheel ) .

Over the past long weekend I met an elderly gentleman that offered to sell
me 5 x 48 spoke 15 inch wire wheels for the price of R 1600,00 ( approx.
200
US Dollars or 133 UK Pounds ) . Wheels are used and slightly rusted (
surface rust ) , but the splines seem ok . No hubs or spinners / knock-offs
available .He won't accept any offers and he won't split the set .

Couple of questions :
Any problems with using 48 spoke wire wheels on a TR 3 ? AFAIK 48 spoke
wheels were originally fitted to TR 2's and 3's .
Is this a reasonable price to pay ?
Will a 48 spoke wheel fit in the spare wheel compartment without any
hassles
? AFAIK the 60 spoke wheels won't fit .
Any advice against sandblasting and painting or powder coating wire wheels
?
<

That's what I did, sandblasted and powdercoated a set of 48 spoke wires for
TS18010LO.  But one question:  What's wrong with the 60 spoke wheels?  Or
are you just looking for a spare?

For R 1600,00 ( approx. 200 US Dollars or 133 UK Pounds ) they better be
striaght and with good splines and spokes.  Otherwise don't waste your time
or money.

The 48 spoke wheel (5 inch) mounted with a 165-75/15 tyre fits snuggly in
my spare compartment.  I flip the wheel upside down and toss the wheel
hammer and tow strap and slide it home.

Dave