Re: To stir things up a bit ...

Subject: Re: To stir things up a bit ...
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dbmitch@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:44:16 -0400
------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:20:30 EDT
From: CC50506@aol.com

Question on the Stag motor? Why - when it has such a poor history, haven't
many Stag owners swapped in the 3.5 or larger Buick/Rover unit?   I ask this
question as a TR 6 owner - denying all knowledge of thrust washer problems
with the 2.5!

Actually, my question is, does the Stag motor share the same block as the
3.5?  If it does it's wider than the Ford unit and thus a more difficult
swap into a TR.

If my 2.5 ever eats its own head (well block), I would seriously consider a
swap but I think I'd go for a more up-to-date "6".  Perhaps an ohc unit from
a Datsun Z car or the twin cam Supra motor - that would make the Supra 5
speed conversion all the easier!  I wouldn't consider a BMW unit, I look
like hell in a turtleneck! Who else makes a cool "6"?  Even some "4"s today
make more power than the 2.5, even with PI!

Steve

------------------------------

Steve,

First, the Stag and the Rover nee Buick engines are not even similar
except that they are both V8s. It is my understanding that Triumph had
already done all the development work on their engine when Rover acquired
the 3.5L, and didn't want to throw it away.

When I lived in the UK, I remember a number of articles on swapping the
3.5 into the Stag. One of the problems was that the 3.5 sat taller than
the 3.0, and so needed the bonnet bubbled to clear it. This may have
been eliminated in the later Fuel injected engines. There are actually
some people who have gotten the Stag power plant to be quite reliable.

Shoot, some people even believe that the factory knew what it was doing
when it put a particular engine in a particular car. ;)

Cheers,
--
Doug Mitchell
mailto:dbmitch@peoplepc.com