Re: frame sandblasting/painting/powdercoating questions

To: danb@thelittlemacshop.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: frame sandblasting/painting/powdercoating questions
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:45:26 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/2001 5:44:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
danb@thelittlemacshop.com writes:

<< I spent a good portion of the day on Wednesday and today getting my
 TR3 frame ready for beautification - first scraping off lump after
 lump of greasy sand and dirt, then spraying it down with Simple
 Green, scrubbing, rinsing, and repeating.

 I think my neighbors think I'm nuts. ;)

 Anyway - I've got it pretty well clean, and it's noticeably rustier
 than I had thought it was.  All surface rust, but some is pretty
 heavy.

 I'm planning on having it sandblasted ... what do I need to do first?
 I've covered the front suspension pivots with heavy duct tape.  What
 else?

 And afterward?  I'll have to stand it upright and shake the sand out for
sure.
 I know lots of list members swear by POR-15 ... do I brush that on?
 Spray it?  Where do I buy it?

 Or (Here it comes, Fred!) do I take the whole thing to the one
 industrial powdercoating joint listed in the Yellow Pages here in
 D.M.?  What might I expect that to cost?  Is it even possible to p.c.
 a whole TR3 frame?  Is it advisable?

 Any advice appreciated!

I spent the past few days doing about the same thing. I'm doing mine in
stages, and the rear end is the current project. For economic and logistical
reasons, I decided to do it all in my shed.

After removing the rear axle and propellor shaft, I wire brushed the chassis
with a brush attached to my die grinder (ignoring all the warnings about 4500
RPM max on the brush), dodged the flying bristles (goggles definitely
necessary), and was very pleased with the result. I didn't have to use my
sand blaster at all. I was happy to see that the chassis was in pretty good
shape under all the crud.

I prepped it as per the POR15 instructions (see POR15.com for catalog and
ordering instructions), and painted it with POR15. Very happy with the
results. The rear end of the chassis looks like new, in stark contrast with
the front, which should be complete by early 2002.

I agree with Fred that powder coating would probably be even better. However,
I was able to do my project without transporting the chassis, dealing with
sand in all the crannies, or having to pay for powder coating. As usual, YMMV.

Cheers,
Les Landon
1962 TR3B TCF644L
Baton Rouge, LA