Re: Changing Steering Wheel

To: Noah.Freeman@Bain.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing Steering Wheel
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 02:14:27 FILETIME=[72BEF600:01C0D1E4]
>From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
>To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Changing Steering Wheel
>Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:59:24 -0400
>
>Hello all-
>
>Im replacing my standard wheel with a Moto-Lita I bought...
>
>I pulled off the central hub bit, looked inside, and there is a HUGE nut
>holding the wheel in place, the nut is much bigger than any sprocket in my
>set...I couldnt get any other tool in there...
>
>So I am temporarily stymied...any options other than buying a rather
>expensive large socket for my wrench?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Noah

  Noah, Noah, Noah!

  Bite the bullet. Buy a 1 1/4" half inch drive socket. It'll cost about
  $8-10. While you're at it buy a short 1/2" drive extension and breaker
  bar too. Do ya think you'll get the wheel on exactly straight the
  first time? Trust me... You won't. You will probably be taking that
  steering wheel off at least a dozen times over the course of the next
  6 months to move it "just one more spline" only to move it 3 too far
  or  just put it back exactly where it was in the first place...

  Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt...

  Believe me it won't be the last tool you buy for your `4 that has only
  one purpose. If you buy the extension and breaker bar at least you'll
  only have to buy another half inch drive socket to have a REALLY
  snazzy lug wrench!

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)