Re: Alarms and power door locks.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumphs-owner@autox.team.net>, <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <nass@egroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: Alarms and power door locks.
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 06:37:05 -0400
Never noticed car keys as being so fragile myself.

Why not take it the rest of the way and go with electric door latches?  Then
you can shave the doors.  You could do the bonnet in a similar fashion,
eliminating the handles.  With a different set of marker lights, you could have
a very clean looking Spitfire.

Not sure how much of a major security feature your anti car jacking delay is.
After all, a car jacker has only to reach down, grab you by your ears, and drag
you out.  At that, 30 seconds isn't very long.  On the very remote chance you
get car jacked (you're statistically more likely to get struck by lightning
btw), I don't know that you're going to want the car jacker right there, pissed
off because your car stalled out.  You might actually want the car jacker a
couple of blocks away from you instead.

None the less, bully for you on your project, and all that rot. :-)

>>> Paul Tegler <ptegler@cablespeed.com> 05/05 10:06 PM >>>

Well I've gone and done it. I've done it before
and love not having to use those fragile keys
in the door locks.
---snip---
I like this setup because once the ignition
is turned on, the doors lock automatically,
and unlock as you turn the ignition off.
If the door is opened with the engine running,
30 seconds later the 'car-jacking' feature kicks
in, disabling the ignition and activating the
alarm. (fully programmable of course.)