gauge cleaning

To: jlumia@ball.com
Subject: gauge cleaning
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:34:55 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John,
        I just cleaned my TR6 gauge glasses inside and out.  What a
difference it made!  Maybe the PO was a heavy smoker.
        Now, don't bend back any tabs.  All you have to do is firmly
grasp the chrome bezel in one had and turn the gauge housing with the
other.  It's like opening an old jelly jar.  When you turn a few degrees,
the slots in the bezel align with the tabs on the housing, and it comes
apart.
        I used a window cleaner on the glass, and then blew everything
off with a can of that compressed air from Radio Shack.  Avoid
touching the black gauge faces with anything but air.
        Is your tach and speedo needle movement nice and steady?
There's a trick for that, too.  But, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".
                Good Luck,

Regards,
        Rick Barnard
        '73 TR6 restored - CF2570U