Re: gauge cleaning

To: jlumia@ball.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gauge cleaning
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:59:58 EDT
In a message dated 01-05-09 10:10:25 EDT, jlumia@ball.com writes:

<< Does anyone have any recommendations?  Does one carefully bend
 back the tangs holding the chrome bezels to the body?  Has anyone tried to
 blow out the dust,  >>

John,

I cleaned all of my gauges on the Spit last fall and am about to tackle the
TR6's gauges.....yes, carefully bend the tangs away and remove the bezels.
The bezels probably won't come off easily so be prepared to gently and evenly
pry them with a flat blade screwdriver.  Be careful not to crack the glass.

Once the bezels are off, you may want to detach the speedo and tach
mechanisms from their cases and clean or repaint the inside and outside of
the cases, clean both sides of the glass, clean and re-oil the speedo/tach
bushings (I use a fine quality clock oil), spray a little Pledge Furniture
Polish on the dial faces (cleans the surface without removing the numbers!),
repaint the indicator needles (remove them first!), repaint the inner surface
of the chromed bezel.....OR any of the above as time and patience permits:)

I would not use compressed air - there's too much risk (IMHO) of damaging the
fragile speedo/tach internal springs, etc.

Since the rubber bezel-to-case o-ring will probably crumble into dust when
you remove the glass & bezel assembly, you can refit the bezel/glass the case
with a small, continuous bead of black silicon sealer in place of the o-ring.

Good luck - it'll be worth the time spent - when I finished with the Spit
gauges, I couldn't believe how well they looked especially at night - I could
actually read the numbers!

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy painting various
interior parts, assembling the engine and still doing body prep - check out
my progress by visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (winter covers off - she's on the road again!)