Carb Cleaning

To: "INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com" <Ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: Carb Cleaning
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 08:26:40 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com
>Post script to my earlier question. I was out examining the carbs (still
intact) and looking in through the open butterfly while someone else moved
the lever for the choke and noticed that -- at least while laying on their
side -- the piston in the rearward carb slowly returns to its base while
the
piston in the forward carb doesn't return when the choke is released. Stood

up, gravity apparently pulls it back down. So my question now is what makes

the piston return and what does this indicate with regard to repairs. What
do
I look for when (no longer if, apparently) I take them apart.
<

Jim,

I'm confused.  Are you referring to the big piston in the venturi?  If so,
then there is no direct connection between this piston and the throttle or
the choke and any coincident movement of the piston and the choke is just
that, coincidence.  Further, these carbs are designed to operate in a
vertical orientation and any behaviour exhibited whilst on their sides is
not necessarily relevent.

Inside there is a spring that augments the force of gravity to move the
pistons towards the closed position.  Air flow alone lifts the pistons.  To
check for proper operation of the pistons hold the carb in a vertical
orientation and lift the pistons with a finger.  It should move smoothly
(and with resistance if there is oil in the dashpot) all the way up to the
top and then retun freely when released.  If the pistons do this the only
other thing to check is the condition of the diaghram.  To do this you will
need to remove the four screws that hold the top on and visually inspect
the diaghram for tears and cracks.

good luck

Dave