cARB cLEANING

To: "INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com" <Ct54531@aol.com>
Subject: cARB cLEANING
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 08:26:37 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Ct54531@aol.com
>Thanks to Tom, Randall, and Dave for the info on the Stromberg questions.
Having gotten a pretty good look inside, the varnish is quite evident so
I'll
be taking the carbs apart to clean. But I would like to be as minimally
invasive as possible. I was told, drop the fuel bowl and clean the needle
but, having dismantled a Stromberg from the parts car to see how it's put
together, I don't see how dropping the fuel bowl gets me at the needle
without messing with the adjusting nut. Is that correct? And, if I need to
take that out am I getting into the Unisys thing or whatever it is in terms

of having to balance them? It wouldn't be something I wouldn't like to
learn
but, for now, I want to try a combination of the KISS theory (to the extent

possible, anyway) and the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it theory" -- if
possible.  When I dismantled the other, I pulled the piston through the top

and that exposed the needle -- but it also broke the seal on the diaphragm.

What are the ramifications of going in that way? Is it possible to get to
the
needle without either going in from the top or playing with the adjusting
nut? Will generously spraying carb cleaner into -- what? -- everything in
sight? -- perhaps do the trick. Everything else seems to be moving so I
suspect that the needle is stuck.
<

Well, I guess that depends on whether you want it to run well or just run.
At a minimum you can drop the float bowls and clean (or replace) the float
valves and pull the pistons and clean the metering needle and the jet - all
with aerosol carb cleaner and have a car that will likely run (after you
purge all the residual carb cleaner) but you will likely have a gummed up
starting circuit (choke).  Pulling the float bowl may destroy the gasket
but pulling the piston will not necessarily destroy the diaghram (unless it
has turned brittle and likely perished anyway).  All this can be done (note
that I didn't say conveniently done) without removing the carbs from the
car and disturbing the settings.  (This assumes the settings are correct to
begine with.)

Good luck

Dave Massey