TR6es passing Neons

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Subject: TR6es passing Neons
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:30:44 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Boothroyd, Frank"
>Should my 73, non-overdrive, TR6 be able to pass a Chrysler Neon?

I doubt it.

>I guess what I'm really asking is How Fast Should My Little British Car be
>able to go.  It's just that I hate the ubiquitous Neons and would be happy
>if I can pass every one I see.

Don't forget that there has been 30 years and Billions of development
dollars that have passed  under the bridge in the mean time.  If a major,
international car company can't build a car that goes faster than one of
the early casualties of the emissions regulations they should hang it up.
But then, you're Canadian.  If you have a canadian car maybe it's faster
than the US version.

>When I bought Truffles it didn't do what I expected.  Top speed was about
70
>MPH - and that was based on an accurate speedometer in another car.  Since
>then I've had all sorts of little problems fixed which would affect it's
>speed (and lots of big problems fixed too) but in taking it out for very
>short stints lately, the car doesn't seem any speedier.  I know the PO had
>the rear end of the car "redone" so I'm wondering if I've got a car that
>just won't do more than 70.  Also I think the speedometer still reads
faster
>than reality (it certainly did before).

What is the tach reading at 70?  It should be about 3500 RPM.  A stock TR6
should be able to reach 100 MPH (160 KPH) and unless someone put in a 7:1
rear end and you are up against the red line you ought to be able to hit 80
or 90.  I got my TR6 up to 90 the other day and it was still going.  And
that was in overdrive.

The PI cars go faster still.

Dave