RE: TR6es passing Neons

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6es passing Neons
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:32:06 -0700 c .nf.ca>
Boothroyd, Frank wrote :

> Should my 73, non-overdrive, TR6 be able to pass a Chrysler Neon?

Unfortunately, no.  The Neon's 2.0 is rated at 132 hp, while ISTR a US-spec
73 TR6 was around 100.  The Neon is just slightly heavier than a TR6, but
it's also more aerodynamic, so the difference in performance becomes even
larger at freeway speeds.  Earlier Neons were also available with an
optional 150 hp engine, but it was discontinued last year.

> I guess what I'm really asking is How Fast Should My Little British Car be
> able to go.  It's just that I hate the ubiquitous Neons and would be happy
> if I can pass every one I see.

With the engine in 'as new' condition, you should be able to break 100 mph,
given enough time and a long enough stretch of road.

> When I bought Truffles it didn't do what I expected.  Top speed
> was about 70
> MPH - and that was based on an accurate speedometer in another car.

That's way low, IMO.

>  Since
> then I've had all sorts of little problems fixed which would affect it's
> speed (and lots of big problems fixed too) but in taking it out for very
> short stints lately, the car doesn't seem any speedier.  I know the PO had
> the rear end of the car "redone" so I'm wondering if I've got a car that
> just won't do more than 70.

Unless the differential ratio was changed to something ridiculous, and
you're getting close to redline on the engine, changes to the rear end
shouldn't be that big a problem.  Even if the DPO switched to 4.55 gears
(for whatever reason), you should still be able to get over 80 mph, even
without OD.

>  Also I think the speedometer still
> reads faster
> than reality (it certainly did before).

It's very common for old speedometers to read high as a result of wear, and
many of them read high to begin with.  Even in 1973, BL was taking some heat
over the relative lack of performance of the TR6 (in the US), and having the
speedo read high was one cheap way to improve apparent performance.  BL
probably learned that trick from the US makers, who routinely installed
speedos that read as much as 20% high.

However, if the odometer also reads high, that's an indication that your DPO
did change the differential ratio (without changing the speedo to match).

Randall