TR6es passing Neons

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6es passing Neons
From: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:25:03 -0230
Hi folks.  Truffles is almost ready to go - inspection will be this week
sometime.  Now I've got to ask the question I've been dreading since I
bought the car last summer.

Should my 73, non-overdrive, TR6 be able to pass a Chrysler Neon?

I guess what I'm really asking is How Fast Should My Little British Car be
able to go.  It's just that I hate the ubiquitous Neons and would be happy
if I can pass every one I see.

When I bought Truffles it didn't do what I expected.  Top speed was about 70
MPH - and that was based on an accurate speedometer in another car.  Since
then I've had all sorts of little problems fixed which would affect it's
speed (and lots of big problems fixed too) but in taking it out for very
short stints lately, the car doesn't seem any speedier.  I know the PO had
the rear end of the car "redone" so I'm wondering if I've got a car that
just won't do more than 70.  Also I think the speedometer still reads faster
than reality (it certainly did before).

Any input on this matter would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Frank