Re: TR6es passing Neons

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6es passing Neons
From: Easton Family <eastonfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 23:41:47 -0700
Greetings to the Triumph list,

I'm a Triumph-Digest subscriber who feels compelled to give his two cents
worth on the subject of "how fast will it go?".

In 1968, at the age of eighteen, I acquired a 1959 TR3 with 97,000 miles on
it's non-functioning odometer.  My first car.  Replacing the speedometer
cable fixed the gauge and it wasn't long before I needed to know how fast it
would go.  The opportunity presented itself on a straight, quiet two lane
road on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.  I was alone in the car
and still accelerating with the needle bouncing between 95 and 100 when I
ran out of straight road and courage.  97 1/2 MPH!  Now I had my answer.
"It'll do a hundred, easy" I would lie when asked how fast I had driven my
TR.

My father used my TR for a few months when I was away from home for Air
Force basic training in 1970.  Although I never shared my 97 1/2 MPH
experience with my dad, I remember overhearing him say "It'll do a hundred,
easy" when he was asked how fast my TR would go.  He had found out for
himself.

I still own that TR3 and continue to enjoy driving it regularly.  I can
imagine myself on that same road today, recreating that magic 97 1/2 MPH
moment in my personal history.  I can feel the wind in my now gray hair as I
peer through bifocals at the speedometer needle as it bounces between 95 and
100.  I also imagine a Neon in my mirror with it's signal flashing as it's
driver waits for an opportunity to pass.  But who's having more fun?

Frank, I remember a new TR6 being faster than my TR3 in the '70s.  I think
yours should be able to "do a hundred, easy".  I've never driven a Neon but
I'll bet all my back issues of Road & Track that it wouldn't be as much fun
to drive as your TR6!

Dave Easton
Seattle, WA
1959 TR3

> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:25:03 -0230
> From: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
> Subject: TR6es passing Neons

<snip>

> Should my 73, non-overdrive, TR6 be able to pass a Chrysler Neon?
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is How Fast Should My Little British Car be
> able to go.  It's just that I hate the ubiquitous Neons and would be happy
> if I can pass every one I see.

<snip>