Re: TR6es passing Neons

To: Easton Family <eastonfamily@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR6es passing Neons
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 00:50:48 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Easton Family wrote:

> Greetings to the Triumph list,

> I still own that TR3 and continue to enjoy driving it regularly.  I can
> imagine myself on that same road today, recreating that magic 97 1/2 MPH
> moment in my personal history.  I can feel the wind in my now gray hair as I
> peer through bifocals at the speedometer needle as it bounces between 95 and
> 100.  I also imagine a Neon in my mirror with it's signal flashing as it's
> driver waits for an opportunity to pass.  But who's having more fun?

Nice story... in many places these days, getting caught at 100 mph puts
you in jail. (!) At least for those of us with gray hair, we can say to
the judge, "I am reliving my youth with the added benefit of driving
experience." <smile>

> Frank, I remember a new TR6 being faster than my TR3 in the '70s.  I think
> yours should be able to "do a hundred, easy".  I've never driven a Neon but
> I'll bet all my back issues of Road & Track that it wouldn't be as much fun
> to drive as your TR6!

Seats in the Neon are too cushy... who wants to be lulled to sleep at
100 mph? <smile>

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.