Re: TR7BFH Inner Ball Joint installation

To: Kevin Andrews <kandrews@charter.net>, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR7BFH Inner Ball Joint installation
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 00:31:11 -0700
Kevin :

Certainly there are a few honest, competant mechanics around.  Perhaps
you are one of them, I don't know.  However, I stand by my opinion that
the majority are either more interested in making a buck than doing good
work, or incompetant, or downright crooked, and sometimes all three !
There have been numerous surveys that agree with me.  For example, a few
years back, there was a story in Consumer Reports where they drove
around the country pulling off a spark plug wire and pulling into a
service station/shop to have it fixed.  As I recall, less than 5% of the
shops they went into were able to correctly identify the problem and fix
it at a reasonable price!  Other shops ranged from not being able to
find the problem, to trying to sell them shocks, brakes, tires, belts,
etc. that the car did not need, to my favorite, the shop that told them
they needed a new engine !

And BTW, the fanciest computerized alignment system in the world is no
better than the technician running it.  If it's not operated and
maintained properly, it will not produce accurate alignments.

Nor do I agree that a computerized system is essential for any car.
Sure there are more measurements and adjustments to be made, especially
on cars with 4-wheel independant suspension and/or steering.  But
there's no reason they cannot be accurately made with hand tools.
Computerized alignment systems are mostly time savers.

Randall