Late Late Night Frustrations!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late Late Night Frustrations!
From: <britauto@ihpc.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:24:19 -0700
Looks like this thread has died down so it must be time to revive it:-)
Ok...so I'm just late reading my email.

I've encountered the same symptom that Kai is seeing on my restored TR250.
I first found that the clutch master cylinder was not fully returning...the
piston was binding up and causing the TOB to drag on the pressure plate. I
replaced the clutch master cylinder AND installed the Toyota TOB thinking
I'd fixed the problem.  A couple of hundred miles later the damn TOB was
again squeaking....without pressing the clutch pedal.  I have a lift so I
put the 250 on the rack keeping it running with my soon in the car, raised
it up and had him press the clutch pedal in and out and watched the clutch
slave cylinder.  What I found was that when the clutch pedal was let out the
TOB still had just enough pressure on it to cause it to drag on the pressure
plate and spin.  I installed the TR4 slave setup that has an adjustable rod
and return spring.  This seems to be working although I need to replace the
TOB as I wasted it before going to this mod.  I plan on putting in the TRF
Magic Clutch (Sachs pressure plate) as I'm tired of the pressure it takes to
push the clutch pedal in (even without the external spring mod).  I guess
the pressure plate spring tension is suppose to be enough to 'throw' the TOB
away from the pressure plate when released but it sure hasn't worked that
way for me.

Any suggestions on why the stock setup is not working would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce Harding