Re: One more thing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: One more thing
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:27:21 -0400
I was under the impression the Crane unit "amplified" the spark (voltage?
amperage?) in a way the Pertronix ignitor did not?  Is this true, or
malarky, or meaningless?  Why do I seem to be asking a lot of questions?

===
Martin Secrest
73 GT6 (driver)
72 TR6 (weekender)
Arlington, VA

>But the Crane unit will allow you to widen your plug gaps, allegedly
allowing for more dependable ignition rates.  I can't say I ever noticed
such a difference, though.
<

That's what I thought.  I widened the gap on my TR6 to .035.  Ran great.
Except under certain circumstances such as 1500 - 2500 when warn and after
running at a higher speed.  I tried mixture, I tried cap and rotor.  It
wasn't until I reset the gap to .025 did the problem go away.

Bottom line: The XR700 is nothing more than an electronic switch.  Unless
you change the coil the spark energy is the same as before.  Still a good
enough reason to install one, though.  I have one on two of my cars.

Dave