Re: TR6 running too cool?

To: triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 running too cool?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:05:30 -0400
> Corey,
> ...however, I don't think too cool will cause any damage.

In the past I've been told that running with a lower than spec'ed thermostat
would be undesirable because it prevents the expected thermal expansion of
various parts like head, block, etc.  But I ran my Spitfire for years with a
lower thermostat and (knock on wood dash) it hasn't blown its headgasket yet!

It may well be that your temp sensor is bad.  I spent a few months recently
wondering why my Spitfire was running colder than before, so I swapped the
thermostat.  It made no difference.  So I swapped the temp sensor.  Suddenly
the engine was running warmer again!  Life was back to normal.

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)
'70 GT6+ (Nigel)