Re: ROCKER LUBRICATION

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ROCKER LUBRICATION
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:51:25 +0100
An ooze of oil is entirely normal on all pushrod ST engines at idle.
As Dave Massey says, a sludge build-up over time with mineral oils is
inevitable, even with oil and filter changes at regular intervals.
I've always used a flushing oil annually and then stripped the rocker
shaft and its components, giving them a thorough wash in kero and
prodding copper wire through the
bleed holes. I still do this. I recently bought an external oil feed
and it silenced the valve train, so I removed it. I think most people
fit them in the mistaken belief that oil ooze and nominally clattery
valvegear isn't normal - and it is.

Jonmac