Oil Questions?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Questions?
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:49:39 -0400
Hello all-

When performing my first ever oil change (yay!), I did a stupid...I looked
in the owners manual, which said "refill oil from wet, 12 US quarts"...so I
dutifully put in 12 quarts without checking the dipstick...I think I must
have retained more oil than the owners manual took account of (in the
filter, for example)...so when after a few minutes of driving to swirl it
all around, I checked the dipstick, there was a ton too much oil (like I
couldnt see the mark on the dipstick, it was so high)...

Does this matter?  What do I do about it (short of a 2nd oil change)?  Is
driving as normal, and just waiting for the level to drop naturally OK?

As a side note, the switch from 10w30 (DPO oil) to 20w50 made a HUGE
difference to oil pressure...I was really surprised...idle went from 15 to
20 psi at teh guage, 3K RPM went from 35 to 55...just postponed that rebuild
by that many more years!  Yay!

What do people think of synthetic vs. natural oil?

If I switch to $ynthetic, do I have to do some type of "flush" or can I just
do a normal oil change?

Thanks all!